Flo's 2008 February Travels

February Camping Adventures 2008

Flo exploring at Pedernales Falls

Click on photo to see all Pedernales Falls State Park Photos

LOCATION: Hill County Johnson City, Texas     SITE: Pedernales Falls State Park
02/01/08 – 02/03/08     SPACE: 19     TRIPS: 31     DISTANCE: 45 miles

Friday February 1, 2008

We arrived at Pedernales Falls State Park at 3:45 p.m. Dad checked us at the office and mom took me for a walk to the scenic overview of Pedernales Falls State Park. The view was beautiful seeing all the trees and the rolling hills. After dad finished checking us in we went to Hackenberg Branch Campground to set up camp for the weekend. When mom and dad finished setting up camp we went for a hiked The Twin Falls Trail. The bike and hike trail is ¼ of a mile long. The trail led you to the twin falls. The first fall was flowing very well so you could actually see it. The fall was pretty to watch. The fall was form by two streams that join together. The second fall was harder to see but you could hear it flowing. There was some thick growth growing out of the hill and it sound like the fall was behind the growth. Both falls end up flowing into a swimming hole. The swimming hole looked deep enough to go swimming in. We continued our hike after enjoying the falls. While we were hiking we had to be adventurous because some how we got off the trail. Our adventure took us through trees and we had to climb up a hill to find the hiking trail again. Once we got up the hill dad found the trail and the trail took us back to the campsite. I had fun exploring in the trees. We ended up hiking for about 1 ½ hours for about 2 miles. It was a great hike. When we got back to the campsite mom and dad barbequed steak for dinner and I ate my special food.

After dinner we went for a walk around the campground. While we were walking I met a new friend her name is Abbey. Abbey is a white lab just like me but she a little taller then I am. Her mom and dad were so excited to see that Abbey wasn’t the only white lab around. Abbey and I had a great time playing. Now it’s time to go back to the Minnie to turn in for the evening.       

Saturday February 2, 2008

Mom and dad woke up at 7:45 a.m. Mom took me for walk around the campground. When mom and I returned to the Minnie we had breakfast with dad. After breakfast mom and dad took me on a hike.

We hiked 7 mile hike that lasted 4 hours. We hiked long the Pedernales River to the park boundaries. While we hiked along the river we saw how high the water had gotten during the flood and we also saw the damage that the flood done. It was interesting to see how the cypress trees had survived the flood because you could see how strong the water current was. I enjoyed hiking along the river because I could go for a swim now and than. We saw some big fish and a couple of turtles swimming in the river. I did some exploring around the riverbank and in the trees. We usually see wild hogs by the river but today we didn’t see any. We saw a few deer grazing at a distance by the time I saw them they we too far away. But it didn’t stop me from running after them. After I ran after the deer and turned around and ran back to mom and dad.

When we got to the park boundaries fence we climbed up the hill. We hiked around the ledge of the hill. The trail along the ledge is a very neat trail. The trail takes you between rock walls and trees. During our hike on this trail dad sometimes has to help me off ledges or down some rocks. I enjoy this trail because I can do some exploring and I never know when dad will have to help me. We hiked this trail for awhile and than we decided to climb down the hill to get back to the river. We hiked the river back to the campsite because I was getting tired. If we had continued on the ledge trail we would have ended up on the main road and I would have to be put on a leash and when I get tired I do better off leash. We were almost back to the trail that leads to the campground when dad let me go for a swim so wouldn’t bother a couple riding their bikes. The couple had a dog but I was busy swimming that I didn’t know they had one until they were too far away. After they were gone we hiked up a small hill to get back to the campsite.

When we returned to the campsite we rested awhile before lunch. Dad barbequed steaks for mom and him and mom gave me a little snack. In the afternoon we hung around the campsite because we were tired. Our campsite was right by the trailhead that goes down to the Twin Falls, so it was pretty busy. I liked this because I got to see a lot of people and a few dogs walking to the trail. I was too tired to play with the dogs but I still enjoyed seeing them.            

Sunday February 3, 2008

We woke up about 7:15 a.m. and had breakfast before our hike. Today our hike was down to the group campground. The hike was about 3 miles and was 1 ½ hours long.

Before we went on the hike I went to see my friend Abbey. I wanted to say good-bye. When I got to Abbey’s campsite her family was getting ready to go home. Abbey and I played for a short time because mom and dad didn’t want to bother Abbey’s family.

The hike we did was easy and not too far because we were still tired from yesterday’s hike. You have to walk down the main road to get to Trammel Crossing Trail that takes you to the road that leads you to the picnic area. Across the street from the picnic area is a trail that leads you to the group campground. The trail to the campground is a dirt road with trees and shrubs on both side of it. When we got to the group campground we turned around and head back to the campsite. I had a great time exploring but now it’s time to go home.

Flo watching a horse at Muleshoe Bend

Click on photo to see all Muleshoe Bend LCRA Park Photos  

LOCATION: Austin, Texas     SITE: Muleshoe Bend LCRA Park 
DATE: 2/08/08 – 2/10/08     SPACE: 00     TRIPS: 32     DISTANCE: 33 miles

Friday February 8, 2008

It’s Friday and the weather is suppose to be great this weekend so mom and dad are taking me to camping at Muleshoe Bend Park. While I was waiting to begin my camping adventure to Muleshoe Bend my neighbor Major came over to play. Major is a yellow lab like me except he’s bigger. We ran around the yard and played until Major’s dad came to get him. After Major and his dad left we went to Muleshoe Bend. We’ve been here many times before because it’s only 33 miles from the house and it has a fantastic mountain bike and hike trail to use. I really like it here because it’s right off Lake Travis so I can go swimming when I my parents let me. The park is primitive so you have to Boondock it here.

We arrived at Muleshoe Bend Park at 3:45 p.m. The last time we were here there wasn’t a park host but this time there was one. Dad checked in with the park host and visit with him for awhile. Mom and I waited in the Minnie for dad to return. After dad returned to the Minnie we went to our favorite spot at Muleshoe Bend Park. When mom and dad finished setting up camp we went for a hike around the campground before dinner. While we were hiking I met a white lab like me her name was Daisy. I played with her for awhile until I got tired and wanted to go back to our campsite for dinner. Daisy was 9 months old so she was still full of energy and wanted to continue to play but her dad told her that it was time to stop. Daisy and I said good-bye. My parents and I went back to the campsite and had dinner. Mom and dad had hamburgers and I had my special food. After dinner we sat in our chairs and enjoyed the lake until it started to get cool. When it got cool we went in the Minnie for the night. While we were inside mom made some cookies before we went to bed.

Saturday February 9, 2008

I woke up before the sun came up. I tired to let mom and dad sleep in but I was too excited. I woke mom and dad up about 7:00 a.m. and mom fed me breakfast. After I had breakfast mom took me for a short walk so dad could get ready for our hike. When mom and I got back to the Minnie dad was dressed. Mom and dad sat down and had breakfast. When they were finish we went on our hike. The hike was 7 ½ miles long and lasted for 2 hours.

We hiked the campground road for about ½ mile to the trailhead of the mountain bike trail. The trail is 6 ½ miles long and you have to share the trail with hikers and bikers. The hikers hike counterclockwise and the bikers ride clockwise. When we started the hike it was very peaceful and we didn’t see anyone. It was very nice hike. During the hike I went exploring. While I was exploring I saw some deer so I chased them through the trees. After I finished chasing the deer I returned to mom and dad. About 3 miles into the hike we met a few bikers riding on the trail. I wanted to go with them but dad held me back so I wouldn’t disturb them. I also saw my first skunk, I wanted to chase after him but dad said no. He put me back on the leash and explained why I couldn’t play with the skunk. Now that I understand why I couldn’t play with the skunk it was ok. When we got to the parking lot we were about half way through our hike so we decided to rest at the picnic area. As we were resting a few more bikers showed up. One of them had a dog he asked if we minded if they let the dog out to play and my parents said it was ok. I didn’t mind at all. We played together while her master put his bike together for their adventure on the trail.

After our rest we continued our hike. We met up with a lady that we saw earlier and she stopped to visit. While mom and dad were talking to the lady, they found out she was one of the people that built the trail. We let her continue her ride and we continued our hike. A little ways down the trail we met up with the bikers from the parking lot. The dog was running along side of her master. I wish I could do that but I know I would get too tired and couldn’t keep up with the bike. When we finished hiking the trail we had to hike the road for ½ mile to get back to the campsite. Once we got back to the campsite we rested before lunch.

For lunch my parents had sandwiches because they were too tired to barbeque. I had a little snack. I was very tired but I couldn’t sleep because there was a lot of activity going on in the park and on the lake. On the lake people were boating, fishing and wake boarding. It looked like a summer day on the lake. Besides all the people on the lake the park was also busy. People were walking their dogs, riding their bikes, jogging and swimming. Every time I tired to sleep something would happen so I had to watch for awhile.

Before dinner mom and dad took me for a walk around the park. When we could to the restroom I met a 9 month old puppy. His name was Nash. He was very cute I wasn’t sure what to do with him because all he wanted to do was bite my legs and ears. I stood there and let him play while mom and dad talked to his mom. After Nash and I played we went back to the Minnie. The campsite right next to us I met a few more dogs. They were very friendly so we played a short time. I was really too tired to play to long. For dinner dad barbequed hamburgers when we returned to the campsite. I had my special food.

After dinner we went for another walk around the park. This time we went the other direction and I met a couple more dogs. The older dog wanted to walk with us but her dad called her back. When we were walking back we passed the dogs’ campsite again and I played with the older dog for awhile. I always have so much fun playing with other dogs. When we returned to the campsite we went inside for the evening. I think I will sleep very well tonight because I’m so tired and I couldn't sleep this afternoon.          

Sunday February 10, 2008  

Its 7:00 a.m. Sunday morning, I’m rested and ready to go hiking. First we had a little breakfast. Our hike today was 4 miles instead of 7 ½ miles. We hiked 1 mile of the main road to get to the parking lot at the entrance of Muleshoe Bend Park where we picked up the trailhead. While we were hiking the road we saw deer ahead of us. I wanted to chase after them but I couldn’t because I was on leash. When I’m hiking the road I stay on leash because it’s safer that way. I was a little disappointed I couldn’t chase the deer but I chased enough deer yesterday to make up for this little disappointment. When we got to the trailhead dad took me off leash so I could do some exploring. Today the trail was very quiet. We didn’t see anyone at all on the trail. There were a couple of places on the trail I did see deer grazing in the trees. But when they saw me they ran away. I know they were too far away but I still ran after them. I always have fun doing this. When we returned to the campground I met a couple of dogs walking with their dad. We just checked each other out because I was too tired to play. My parents and I rested a little while when we returned to the Minnie before we broke camp to head back home.      


Flo and dad resting

Click on photo to see all Muleshoe Bend1 LCRA Park Photos

LOCATION: Austin, Texas     SITE: Muleshoe Bend LCRA Park
DATE: 2/22/08 – 2/24/08     SPACE: 00     TRIPS: 32     DISTANCE: 33 miles

Friday February 22, 2008

The sun is shining and weather is suppose to be in the 70s this weekend, so mom and dad decided to take me back to Muleshoe Bend Park. We always have a fantastic time at Muleshoe Bend because it’s right next to Lake Travis. While we stay at Muleshoe Bend I meet new friends, go hiking and swimming.

We arrived at Muleshoe Bend Park about 3:45 p.m. We were the only ones here. We parked the Minnie at our regular spot. Mom and dad set up camp and I explored around the campsite. After mom and dad were finished we went on a walk. We walked around the park. It was very relaxing. When we returned to the campsite mom and dad had sandwiches for dinner. I ate my special food. After dinner we sat outside for awhile. When we went inside for the night mom baked some cookies.

Saturday February 23, 2008

I woke mom and dad up early for some reason I can sleep until 7:00 a.m. I can only sleep until 6:30 a.m. Mom got up and took me for a walk. When we returned to the Minnie we had breakfast with dad. After breakfast my parents and I went for a hike. The hike was for 6 miles and 4 hours.

The hike was on the mountain bike trail but we didn’t hike the whole thing. We hiked the last 2 ½ miles both directions. When we were hiking the road to get to the hiking trail we saw a few deer. I was on leash so I didn’t chase them. Once we got to the trail we decided to hike the trail clockwise starting at the 4 mile marker. We hiked the same direction as the bikes go but my parents knew there wouldn’t be any bikes on the trail this early in the morning. When we got to where we had to cross the road mom and dad decided to go check out another campground. It was very small there are only a few campsites. While we were walking through the campground I met a lady. I saw a dog but we were too far away from each other to play and we were both on leash. Once we returned to the hiking trail dad took me off leash and did some more exploring. We saw one mountain biker on the trail he let us know he was behind us with a little bell. That was great that way we could get out of the way. When we got to the parking lot we saw a few more bikers. We rested for awhile. While we were resting, a couple of bikers had trouble with their bikes so they loaded the bikes back into the truck and left. Mom and dad visit with a couple more bikers. They were very friendly and they pet me. I enjoyed that very much.

After our rest we started back to the campground. We took a little short cut on the way back because I was tired by taking the short cut I didn’t have to be on leash. The short cut took us to a little cove where I went for a swim. That was so refreshing now I’m ready to finish the hike. After my swim I met a big dog name Grizzly and he was only 9 months old. We ran around and circles and ran to the lake to play in the water. I had a lot of fun playing with Grizzly now it’s time to go back to our site so I can rest. When we got back to our campsite mom and dad ate sandwiches for lunch. Mom gave me some chicken for a snack. 

In the afternoon we relaxed in our chairs. It was windy so we didn’t see a lot of people on the lake. I saw people walking, riding their bikes and run around the park. It was a great because I had a chance to sleep. When it was time for dinner we went inside. Mom made pancakes for dinner and fed me my special food. We stayed inside for the rest of the night.    

Sunday February 24, 2008

I woke mom and dad early and we had breakfast. After breakfast we went on a hike. We hiked 7 miles for about 4 hours. We hiked the whole mountain bike trail. During the hike I saw deer and a few bikers. When I saw the deer I chased them. I always enjoy running after them. On the way back to the campsite we took the short cut again but this time I didn’t go swimming. We were going home so I had to keep dry. When I passed by Grizzly’s campsite we didn’t play because he was on a leash. His parents decided to keep him close by. When we returned to our campsite we rested before we went home. While we were resting I notice there was a lot more people at Muleshoe Bend Park today then yesterday. Now it's time to say good-bye until my next adventure.