Flo's 2007 March Travels

March Camping Trips 2007

FLo and Dad waiting for Mom

Click on photo to see all Lake Somerville State Park Photos

LOCATION: Somerville, Texas     SITE: Lake Somerville State Park Birch Creek
DATE: 3/2/07 – 3/4/07     SPACE: 63     TRIPS: 18     DISTANCE: 104 miles

Somerville is located in South Central Texas. Lake Somerville is a Corp of Engineer Lake with a Corp of Engineer Park and State Park. All the parks are located along Lake Somerville you can hike to the lake. Lake Somerville State Park has two units Birch Creek and Nails Creek. My parents and I stayed at Birch Creek. The campgrounds are gorgeous with the trees and trails. Birch Creek Park has many amenities to offer.
There are different species of fish in Lake Somerville, they are Hybrid Bass, Crappie, Largemouth Bass, White Bass, Flathead Catfish, Blue Catfish and Channel Catfish. There is a limit on how many of each fish you can catch a day.

Hybrid Bass 18 Inches Minimum 5  Per Day
Crappie 10 Inches Minimum 25 Per Day
Largemouth Bass 14 Inches Minimum 5  Per Day
White Bass 10 Inches Minimum 25 Per Day
Flathead Catfish 18 Inches Minimum 5  Per Day
Blue Catfish 12 Inches Minimum 25 Per Day
Channel Catfish 12 Inches Minimum 25 Per Day

Friday March 2, 2007

The Minnie ride to Lake Somerville took 2.5 hours because of the traffic. My parents and I arrived about 5:30 p.m. While mom and dad sent up camp I went exploring around the campsite. There was a lot of trees, so I had fun exploring. My parents and I decided to go for a walk around the campground before it got dark. It was a very pleasant walk to the lake and back. When we returned to our campsite, we ate dinner. Mom and dad had ham sandwiches and I had my special food. After dinner we went for a short walk around the campsite. Mom baked some cookies. While my mom and dad enjoyed their cookies I went to bed , so I will be rested for my hike in the morning.

Saturday March 3, 2007

I woke my parents up at 7:15 a.m. I wanted to go hiking before it got too hot. My mom took me for a little walk to the lake, while dad got dressed. When mom and I returned to Minnie we had breakfast. After we ate we went for a hike on the Equestrian Trail. The Equestrian Area is very beautiful area, it has corrals and hitching posts for your horses. When you go hiking in this area you have to bring in your own water because there is only water for horses. I saw a beautiful brown horse in one of the corrals. During the hike I was the first flower of Spring, so dad took a picture of it. It was pretty purple flower as we continued our hike we saw some more flowers. The trail had mile markers, I thought that was great then I knew how far I hiked. I chased some deer through the trees I enjoyed that very much. At the 2 mile marker we saw a shaded shelter, so we rested a little while. We continued our hike when we got to the 3 mile marker dad asked if we should go back but mom said no lets continue to Wolf Pond, it's only another 1/2 mile. When we arrived, where Wolf Pond should be there was a primitive campsite but we didn't see the pond. The campsite had a young couple there with a beagle I was happy to meet a friend, dad asked if the pond was through the trees but the couple didn't know. There was an old water pump with a trough at this campsite, it was so neat because I never seen a trough before. Mom played with the water pump and some water came out into the trough. Dad took a pictures of mom pumping water and me drinking some water from the trough. We decided to leave so we wouldn't disturb the tenters any more than we had. As we were leaving we met a man from Brenham Texas, he was very friendly and nice. He said the fishing was great in Yegua Creek. We walked down to the creek. It was a nice size creek. There were some fishermen fishing in the creek, they came from the main body of Lake Somerville. Dad took some pictures of Yegua Creek and the fishermen. You have to be careful when you walk to the creek because everywhere you stepped there were briers. I was glad to get back to the trail to give my paws a rest from the brier and also we met up with our new friend from Brenham. We hiked with him until we got to the 2 mile shade shelter, where we all rested. The man from Brenham had backpacked into the campsite, I thought that was very interesting. My parents and the man talked for awhile and I rested. My parents and I walked the 1/2 mile loop while our new friend took the trail. After we hiked the loop we met up to the main trail again, there we saw a lady on a horse. I was very excited to see another horse. When we got back to the campsite we had hiked 7 1/2 miles, I was tired. So we rested before lunch.
Dad barbecued some steaks wrapped in bacon. My parents sat down to enjoy their steak with some potato salad, while I took a nap. After my nap we went for a 3 1/2 mile hike, it was a beautiful afternoon to go for a hike. There are many trails around the campsites. The trail we decided to take went to the boat ramp you have to hike to the lake to get there. When we were at the lake I met a new friend name Molly, she was a lab like me. I had a great time playing with her, while my parents and her master visit. We continued our hike towards the boat ramp. We crossed over bridges and the main road that runs around the park. During our hike we walked by the Family Fishing Pond, where families were fishing and picnicking. While we were there we saw a lady catch a small catfish that was very exciting. We hiked through Cedar Elm Camping Area, that where the boys scouts were staying. They were doing different activities such as cooking, tenting, playing ball, fishing and walking. When my parents and I got to the boat ramp, there was a Fishing Pier/Jetty. There were a lot of people fishing and just having a great time. My parents and I were tired so we sat at a picnic table to rest. As we were resting we saw some deer and birds, so mom took some pictures of them and people. After we rested we hiked back to the campground. On the way back we saw some deer and mom took pictures of them. When we got back to the camping area I saw Molly again, but I was too tired to play. I had a lot of fun hiking, playing and exploring, now it's time for me to have dinner and relax for the rest of day. My parents had pancakes and I had my special food for dinner. Later on my mom baked some more cookies. Well good night.         
Sunday March 4, 2007

I woke my parents up at 7:15 a.m. we had breakfast and went on a short hike before we broke camp to head back home. We hiked around Old Hickory Camping Area, there is a l mile loop in the area. We hiked about 2 miles. During our hike we saw a fishing boat with two men in it. So I decided to swim to them, I really enjoyed that. The water was a little cold for people but not for me, I taught the water was very refreshing. When we were walking back to our site I saw Molly. I always like seeing my new friends but this was the first time I ever saw my new friends multiple time in one adventure. I really enjoyed that. Well, it's time to break camp and head back home. The ride home is a long ride but it gives me time to rest. I'll see you later, bye bye.

Flo' First Campfire 2007

Click on photo to see all Muleshoe Bend LCRA Park Photos

LOCATION: Austin, Texas     SITE: Muleshoe Bend LCRA Park 
DATE: 3/16/07 – 3/18/07     SPACE: 00     TRIPS: 19     DISTANCE: 33 miles

Muleshoe Bend Park is one of the seven LCRA parks on Lake Travis. The amenities Muleshoe Bend offers are
Friday March 16, 2007

Hi, my parents are taking me camping at Muleshoe Bend Park. I've hiked around Muleshoe Bend a few times but I never camped out there. My dad said we had to boondock. Boondocking is camping without hookups. Muleshoe Bend is an unimproved camping areas. We arrived at Muleshoe Bend about 4:00 p.m. because the park is very close to where I live. It's quick to set up camp because there is no water or electrical hook ups. My mom and dad took me for a 2 mile walk around the camping area. I met some people and their dogs. Most people were camping in tents. There were a lot of families with kids, dogs and parents. One family I remember had two little girls and a rescue dog. I liked them because I could play with their dog and that was fun. It seemed like every campground had at least one dog. I enjoyed that because I think every dog is my friend. When we got back to our camping area we had dinner. My parents had hamburgers and I had my special food. It was a beautiful night, so dad made a campfire, the first one this year, that was great. After a couple of hours, we went inside so I could get rested up for tomorrow. 

Saturday March 17, 2007

It's 7:30 a.m., time to get up the sun is up and it's going to be a great day. My mom got dress and took me for a little walk, so dad could get dress. As soon as we walked out the door we saw some deer eating, that was neat deer eating right behind Minnie. My and I walked down to the lake, we didn't go too far. When we got back my parents and I had breakfast and got ready to go for our hike. We hiked down towards the park boundaries fence, when we got to the fence we hiked up the hill to the entrance gate. The trail is along Lake Travis, where people were fishing and boating. We saw some more deer in the trees, where they were hiding and eating. They were watching us I didn't see them until they started to run. When we were go up the hill at the fence we saw a herd of deer, three jumped over the fence but the youngest one was scared and couldn't clear the fence. I thought that was real cool, I usually see deer running but not jumping over the fence. As we continued our hike I saw a big German Shepard in his backyard, we said hi to each other and I ran with him along his fence that was fun. When we got to the top of the hill we saw Camp Travis entrance. It's a camp off of Lake Travis for teenagers (7-11 grade), where they play, relax and learn from each other. It sounds like fun but I don't think they allow dogs. Right next door of the entrance, we saw a few more deer. We continued our hike and the deer started to follow us down the road. We reached Muleshoe Bend entrance gate mom took some pictures and my parents visit with the park host. She was a very nice lady, she was there with her husband and dog. I think it would be cool to be a host at a park because you meet new people and you can enjoy all the wildlife and hiking trails. Our hike led us down the bike trail, he hiked about three miles of the trail. The bike trail is 7 miles long, the host told us to hike counterclockwise that way the bikes would run us over. She gave us good advise because we saw some mountain bikes. It was a beautiful trail through the trees. Part of the trail goes down to the lake, where some people were camping. By the time I got back to the campsite I was very tired, because I did a lot of exploring, saw some deer, played with dogs, met people and hiked 6 miles.
After I rested and had a little lunch, we went on another hike about 2 miles. My parents had hamburgers and mom gave me a snack of gizzards. We walked along the bank of Lake Travis. Lake Travis is very low, so the bank is big. While we were walking along the bank we saw a car stuck in the mud. The owner of the car was Jody, she asked her friends to help get her car out of the mud. She thought she could go down this road but she didn't realize that it was soft, so she got stuck. Her friends thought they could get her out but they kept getting their trucks stuck. They tried for a couple of hours then gave up. They ended up calling for a tow truck. It was very entertaining watching this whole process. The park host told us that a few people were getting stuck but other people helped get them out. Dad said he would never take his vehicles down by the lake because the ground was muddy and soft.
After we ate dinner we went for a little walk around the lake going the other directions. Mom and dad had some pancakes for dinner and I had my special food. We walked about 1 1/2 miles. We saw the first blue bonnets of the year. Mom took some pictures of the lake, campers and flowers. We met some kids riding bikes and playing with each other. It was nice seeing that. I saw a yellow lab just like me and both wanted to play with each other, but our parents told us no, so we just looked at each other. I really enjoyed my walk around the campground I saw people fishing, playing and cooking. Now it time to go back to our campsite and call it a night.  

Sunday March 18, 2007

I woke up my parents at 7:30 a.m. to go for our final hike of  our adventure at Muleshoe Bend. My mom and I went for a little walk and saw some more deer behind Minnie. I think you will see deer in the campsite every morning and evening because there is so much for them to eat. When we got back we had breakfast with dad. After breakfast we went for a 2 mile walk around the lake. We saw three boys in a row boat fishing and it looked like they weren't sure which way to go because it was very shallow. We saw some fish trying to get to deeper water. It was a very peaceful walk I was still tired from yesterday, so I wasn't walking too fast. I always have fun walking with my mom and my dad. It's time to get ready to go home, so guess we'll have to get back to Minnie. See you later. Bye-Bye.   


March Hiking Trips 2007

Fishing at Lake Belton
Click on photo to see all Lake Belton Photos

LOCATION: Belton, Texas     SITE: Lake Belton     DATE: 3/10/2007     DISTANCE: 65 miles

Hi, mom wasn't feeling well last night, so we didn't go camping. She was better this morning, dad drove us to Lake Belton. It's a beautiful Corp of Engineer Lake north. Mom and dad likes to go boating here because Lake Belton doesn't get as busy as Lake Travis. I've never been boating here because usually my Aunt Louise goes with my parents and there just not enough move in the truck for me. Today, I'm going with my mom and dad, there's plenty of room for me. We're going hiking. Dad parked at Arrowhead Point boat ramp parking lot and we hiked to Temple Lake Park, that was about 1 1/2 miles. During our hike I met a little girl waiting for her mom to come back after walking their dog. The dog was a little Dachshund, we said hi to each other. A lot of people were doing the same thing because it's a great day for hiking. One lady was walking four dogs, can you imagine four dogs, my dad says it's hard enough to walk just me. It looked like she was having a great time with her dogs. We hiked down the boat ramp at Temple Lake Park, where I decided to get my belly wet, dad didn't want me to get too wet because I would smell all the way home. That was ok I still had fun. There were some people fishing it was too cold to water ski but never too cold to fish. The people we saw hiking lived nearby so they could walk to the lake. I thought that was cool, you can walk to the lake anytime you wanted to. 

Flo Exploring

Click on photo to see all Hamilton Greenbelt of Lakeway Photos

LOCATION: Lakeway, Texas     SITE: Hamilton Greenbelt of Lakeway     DATE: 3/11/2007     DISTANCE: 8 miles

We had so much fun hiking yesterday at Belton we decided to go hiking at Lakeway. My parents and I hiked at Hamilton Greenbelt because it's not too far away from my house. I've been here many times but I always enjoy coming back, I meet new people and their dogs. Today we hiked the upper trail towards Hearst Harbor. When we arrived at Hearst Harbor there wasn't much water in the cove. I decided to go exploring in the cove because I saw the boat docks on land and the docks had boat hoists and a boat in them. Dad was a little mad at me because I didn't come back when he called me. He didn't want me to get muddy but I was having so much fun. When I finally came to him, he made me sit awhile and not lay down because he wanted me to do what he wanted. I think I learned my lesson I need to listen to him. When we hiked back to the truck I met a lady and her dog. It was a little humid so by the time we got back to the truck I was hot and tired. I slept all the way home.

FLo Playing with New Friend

Click on photo to see all Williamson County Regional Park Photos

LOCATION: Cedar Park, Texas     SITE: Williamson County Park     DATE: 3/24/07 & 3/25/07    DISTANCE: 17 miles

It's Saturday morning, the rain is gone and wasn't coming back for awhile. It's been raining on and off all week, so we didn't to go camping and dad didn't want to stay at home. The only place dad thought wouldn't be muddy was Williamson County Regional Park. The trail we usually hike is made of mulch and very well packed, you may see some puddles on the side of the trail but not on the trail. Dad was right the trail wasn't muddy. We hiked for about 3 miles. At the beginning of our hike we saw people playing frisbee golf and I met a two year old lab. I had so much fun playing with her, we chased each other through the trees and tall grass. Her dad took her hiking while her mom was jogging around the track on the other side of the park. I was tired after playing with the lab but I continued with the hike. I went exploring and I met some joggers. I really love people and wanted to jog with them. When we reached the street to go back to the truck we walked by the developed part of the park. There were a lot of people playing soccer, cricket and other group sports. We saw some wildflowers along our hike, they were pretty. Now it's time to go home to get rested up for tomorrow.

I'm all rested I'm ready to go hiking again, we going back to Williamson County Park. I always enjoy this park, I'm never sure what or who I will meet. Today it's a little overcast but it's cool, we're going to take the same route as we did yesterday. It was a very quite hike not to many people were there. I saw a couple of ladies riding bikes and I wanted to go with them. I saw a group of people playing cricket again. We were almost finish with our hike when we saw a couple of dogs with their mom and dad. I wanted to play with them and they wanted to play with me but we were too far away from each so we didn't. Even if I didn't see a lot of people or dogs I still had a great time because I was hiking with my mom and dad. Bye, bye I hope to see you next week either hiking or camping.